What was the score in the last meeting between Southampton & Everton? Southampton 2-1 Everton
THE TEAM NEWS
- Southampton bounced back from their 0-9 mauling by Leicester by leading against champions Man City before narrowly losing 2-1 last week.
- Ralph Hasenhuttl fielded Hojbjerg in an unfamiliar left wing-back role last week but he could decide to make further adjustments here.
- McCarthy is set for a run after coming in between the sticks last time out while Danso and Djenepo are also vying for a recall to the team.
Predicted line-up (5-3-2): McCarthy; Valery, Bednarek, Stephens, Vestergaard, Hojbjerg; Ward-Prowse, Romeu, Armstrong; Redmond, Ings
Unavailable: Bertrand (Suspended)
- Everton remain just above the relegation zone following their 1-1 draw last time out at Goodison against fellow strugglers Tottenham.
- Last week’s match was marred by the sickening injury to midfield maestro Andre Gomes who is expected to face months on the sidelines now.
- Sigurdsson is expected to come into the side for Gomes although Richarlison may move out wide to enable Calvert-Lewin or Tosun to come in.
Predicted line-up (4-2-3-1): Pickford; Sidibe, Mina, Holgate, Digne; Davies, Schneiderlin; Walcott, Iwobi, Richarlison; Tosun
Unavailable: Gbamin (Injured), Bernard (Injured), Andre Gomes (Injured)
Doubtful: Delph (Injured)
It has been a difficult start to the season for both of these teams and neither can afford to lose this match. Everton will be motivated to end this miserable run of four away defeats in a row, while the Saints need to snap their own poor form. There is every chance this plays out as a stalemate.